Here are some tips and tricks to help keep your pet cool this summer!
- Exercise – With this hot weather, the best time to walk your animals is during the early morning and the evening. The afternoon is the hottest time of the day and pets can go into heatstroke very quickly! Swimming is a great form of exercise for your pet during the summer, tires them out while keeping cool!
- Hot Paws – Do you plan to take your pets on walks this summer? To the beach? Having booties for your pet to wear is a way to keep those paws safe! Both pavement and sand can become very hot during the warm weather and can burn the pads of their paws!
- Cool Clothing – Similar to the booties, you can also buy both jackets and bandanas that are cooling as well.
- Stay Hydrated – Making sure to keep your pet hydrated, especially during warmer weather, is important. Whenever going out make sure to bring either a water bottle or collapsible bowl, as well adding ice cubes to their water bowls to keep the water cold.
- Stay Shady – Providing plenty of shade for your pet by hanging a tarp, cloth or use a shade screen. No matter what do not leave your pets in the car!
- Knowing the signs of heatstroke – Heatstroke can be life-threatening in dogs, here are the signs to watch out for: excessive panting/breathing, excessive salivation, fatigue, staggering, very red or pale gums, vomiting/diarrhea. If you notice any of these symptoms, get your pet inside and contact your vet immediately!
If you have any questions, give us a call at 902.445.VETS.
Written by: Bedford South Veterinary Hospital