902.443.4345

This Halloween

With Halloween just around the corner, it is important to remember the dangers that the tasty treats we collect can cause to our pets.

Chocolate is one of the first things that come to mind when thinking about foods that can harm our pets; it’s true!

Chocolate contains Theobromine which can be very toxic to dogs. Dogs are unable to metabolize Theobromine at a normal rate, causing it to build up to toxic levels. The darker the chocolate, the more Theobromine it contains. For example, a dark chocolate bar has the potential to be much more harmful than a milk chocolate bar.

If you think your dog has consumed any amount of chocolate it is critical to contact your Veterinary Hospital immediately.

Symptoms of toxicity may include:

  • Extreme Thirst
  • Diarrhea
  • Panting
  • Shaking
  • Seizures
  • Death

Though symptoms can be helpful in judging if your dog has eaten any chocolate, it is important to act fast as symptoms can take several hours to appear and early intervention and treatment are crucial to a positive outcome.

This Halloween, please remember to keep all treats out of reach (or leap) of your pet. Have a safe a happy Halloween!

Written by: Kelsey Cleveland, Veterinary Assistant

Category:
Absolutely amazing staff. They were fabulous with the first cat I brought in but I was extremely impressed with my…

Tara Lee Mackenzie

So friendly, always on time. I ended up here because of their expertise in exotics (bird) and am sad…

Stephanie Glendenning

This was a very good experience for my very sick dog and myself, the staff were so very kind to…

Stephen Bonang

Blog

Not One More Vet

DID YOU KNOW – Veterinary professionals are more than twice as likely to have suicidal thoughts as other Canadians are?

Read More
See All Articles