Bowel Obstruction in Pets

Pets have a tendency to eat things they shouldn’t like toys, string, socks, rocks and so much more. Animals like to play with things which in turn involves them chewing. Chewing can lead to swallowing and that is when a disaster can occur. When a pet consumes an inedible object, the object is called a “foreign body”.

In many cases a foreign body can cause an obstruction or blockage in the stomach or intestines and must be surgically removed because it cannot be passed on its own. If not dealt with in a timely manner it can be fatal.

Signs and symptoms of foreign body ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, straining to defecate, lethargy, tender stomach, hunched body posture and decreased appetite. If a foreign body blockage is suspected, x-rays can be used to help confirm a diagnosis.

You can prevent foreign bodies by providing toys that are the appropriate size and made of something that won’t break down easily into smaller, potentially dangerous pieces. Pet proofing your home and keeping tempting items out of reach will help prevent foreign bodies as well.

If you know or suspect your pet has consumed something they shouldn’t, Please contact your Veterinarian. Do not induce vomiting without advice from the Veterinary Hospital as your pet may end up choking on the item it ate. Also, never pull a foreign object that is protruding from your pet’s rectum. If still lodged inside, it can cause damage internally.


The Risks of Being an Outdoor Cat

Cats are curious creatures who love to roam and explore. The outside world is full of birds to hunt, trees to climb and sun patches to roll in - so why doesn’t everyone let their cat go outside?

Read More
See All Articles